meta name=”robots” content=”index, follow” Meschery's Musings of Sports, Literature, and Life Meschery's Musings on Sports, Literature and Life: You Get What You Deserved

What my musings are all about...

Blogging might well be the 21st century's form of journaling. As a writing teacher, I have always advised my students to keep a daily journal as a way of organizing their thoughts for future writing projects, a discipline I have unfortunately never consistently practiced myself. By blogging, I might finally be able to follow my own good advice.

The difference between journaling and blogging is that the blogger opens his or her writing to the public, something journal- writers are usually reluctant to do. I am not so reticent.

The trick for me will be to avoid cluttering the internet with more blather, something none of us need more of. If I stick to subjects I know: sports and literature, I believe I can avoid that pitfall. I can't promise that I'll not stray from time to time to comment on ancillary subjects, but I will make every attempt to be interesting and perhaps even insightful.

Monday, May 23, 2016

You Get What You Deserved

Following last night's rout of our Golden State Warriors, Coach Kerr said, "We got what we deserved." That was it. No histrionics, no complicated explanations, no defensive attitude. Such is the wisest way to approach losses of this magnitude. I've been there, as a player and a coach. It leaves you mentally exhausted rather than physically exhausted. It is a truth that following such "beat-downs" the losing teams\ will play much better the next game. In the Warriors' case, the question will be how much will the better be? I suspect a lot. There's too much character on this Warriors for them to do otherwise.

Allow me one small attempt at Monday Morning Quarterbacking: It's worth remembering that counter-punching might work in boxing, but never works in basketball. Enough said. Go Warriors!

Loved Sergio Garcia's win at the Byron Nelson. Loved the Raptors win over the Cavs. Bismack is a stud. Valancuinas might be looking for a job.

Speaking of Studs, our stud is Draymond Green. If you read this Draymond, keeping grabbing the boards, defending, intimidating, leading. But keep the emotion as fuel inside you. You are needed on the floor.

The following poem is obviously not about basketball. But the message has to do with all sports.

The Chariot Race  

Have you not seen them fighting for the lead.
Their chariots plunging when the barrier drops,
The drivers' surging hopes, the pounding fear
That drains exulting hearts? They close in,
Ply the lash, crouch over loosened reins,
The glowing axle spins, the drivers' bodies
Seen now to scrape the ground, and now to soar
Through empty air, wheels rising in the wind;
No hanging back, no rest: a golden cloud
Of sand swirls in their wake, the flecks of foam,
The breath of the pursuers, soak them through:
So great is their love for praise, their will to win. 

                           Virgil
                            from the Georgies
                            Translated by Smith Plameer Bovie.

Remember, Warriors, no hanging back, you must have the WILL to win.


No comments: