meta name=”robots” content=”index, follow” Meschery's Musings of Sports, Literature, and Life Meschery's Musings on Sports, Literature and Life: A Quick Note from an Old Warrior to the Dubs

What my musings are all about...

Blogging might well be the 21st century's form of journaling. As a writing teacher, I have always advised my students to keep a daily journal as a way of organizing their thoughts for future writing projects, a discipline I have unfortunately never consistently practiced myself. By blogging, I might finally be able to follow my own good advice.

The difference between journaling and blogging is that the blogger opens his or her writing to the public, something journal- writers are usually reluctant to do. I am not so reticent.

The trick for me will be to avoid cluttering the internet with more blather, something none of us need more of. If I stick to subjects I know: sports and literature, I believe I can avoid that pitfall. I can't promise that I'll not stray from time to time to comment on ancillary subjects, but I will make every attempt to be interesting and perhaps even insightful.

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

A Quick Note from an Old Warrior to the Dubs

Without trying to complicate matters by over analyzing a six point loss, its worth keeping in mind and taking to heart a basketball principal that transcends all levels of the game: high school, college, and professional: Defense and boards - everything else will work itself out. Good Luck tonight. I'll be at Orcacle cheering you on.

Here's a terrific basketball poem for the Dubs and Dubs coaches and other basketball junkies that read my blog written by Carl Linder. I may have used this poem before, but it's been a while and worth repeating.

First Love

Before sixteen
I was fast
enough to fake
my shadow out
and I could read
every crack and ripple
in that catch of asphalt.
I owned
the slanted rim
knew
the dead spot in the backboard.
Always the ball
came back.

Every day I loved
to sharpen
my shooting eye,
waiting
for the touch.
Set shot, jump shot,
layup, hook - 
after a while
I could feel
the ball hunger-
ing to clear
the lip of the rim,
the two of us
falling through. 


No comments: