meta name=”robots” content=”index, follow” Meschery's Musings of Sports, Literature, and Life Meschery's Musings on Sports, Literature and Life: The NBA Play In & etc

What my musings are all about...

Blogging might well be the 21st century's form of journaling. As a writing teacher, I have always advised my students to keep a daily journal as a way of organizing their thoughts for future writing projects, a discipline I have unfortunately never consistently practiced myself. By blogging, I might finally be able to follow my own good advice.

The difference between journaling and blogging is that the blogger opens his or her writing to the public, something journal- writers are usually reluctant to do. I am not so reticent.

The trick for me will be to avoid cluttering the internet with more blather, something none of us need more of. If I stick to subjects I know: sports and literature, I believe I can avoid that pitfall. I can't promise that I'll not stray from time to time to comment on ancillary subjects, but I will make every attempt to be interesting and perhaps even insightful.

Sunday, May 9, 2021

The NBA Play In & etc

 I better get my two cents in before the NBA PLAY IN starts. My original thoughts were along the line of LeBron's, terrible idea that makes a mockery of the season. I have slowly changed my mind as I've become aware of the increased competitiveness of the teams below sixth place in the conference standings and the increased fan interest in those teams' cities. It has always been a problem for me to take games seriously at the end of the NBA season between teams that are already eliminated or on the verge of elimination. The Play In has changed that. For example, up to last night's loss to the Spurs, I still felt the Sacramento Kings had an outside chance to make the 10th spot in the Play In. As for my Warriors, they're in 8th place and still have a shot shot at 6th and certainly 7th. Seventh just sounds better than 8th. See what I mean about the nature of competition? If you've got something to root for, you root. The NBA has provided That Something to root for with the PLAY IN format. 

And, of course, let's not forget the additional revenue the Play In will generate, which will help players and owners tremendously this COVID season without ticket sales, etc. LeBron may feel secure in his own contract, but the lack of cash might be the difference a bench reserve stays on a team or is waived. LeBron should not forget there are 15 players trying to make a living. Not to mention how positive revenue streams have on over-all effect on hiring of management employees and arena workers. 

I have a suggestion for the NBA. This year is the perfect year to name co-equal MVPs: Curry and Jokic. There have never been two players that I recall in recent NBA history that have carried their teams on their talented shoulders. I'll even forgive Jokic, his constantly running nose. He is indeed a force. As for Curry, can anyone deny what he has and still is accomplishing this season. It is time for the NBA to drop the idea that the MVP must be from a winning team. 

Some talk about the 49ers signing Richard Sherman in this mornings sports page. I don't blog much about the NFL. In this case, I'll opine, it's always a good idea for a team with Championship aspirations to have one of its main players be a loud cocky voice that resonates in the locker room, in practices, and games. Sherman walks his talk and the rest of the team knows it. It's a mental thing. Sign the dude!

Baseball season is on the way. Here is a Haiku to kick the season off as perhaps Walt Whitman might have written about it.

WALT WHITMAN   by Tom Meschery

I marked, where, isolated
On a little mound of earth, he rubbed
The ball, tenderly, 'till, he felt its worth
Between split fingers, launch'd it forth.

                                                                                                                                               

No comments: