meta name=”robots” content=”index, follow” Meschery's Musings of Sports, Literature, and Life Meschery's Musings on Sports, Literature and Life: Commetns & Observations

What my musings are all about...

Blogging might well be the 21st century's form of journaling. As a writing teacher, I have always advised my students to keep a daily journal as a way of organizing their thoughts for future writing projects, a discipline I have unfortunately never consistently practiced myself. By blogging, I might finally be able to follow my own good advice.

The difference between journaling and blogging is that the blogger opens his or her writing to the public, something journal- writers are usually reluctant to do. I am not so reticent.

The trick for me will be to avoid cluttering the internet with more blather, something none of us need more of. If I stick to subjects I know: sports and literature, I believe I can avoid that pitfall. I can't promise that I'll not stray from time to time to comment on ancillary subjects, but I will make every attempt to be interesting and perhaps even insightful.

Thursday, May 27, 2021

Commetns & Observations

 Lets start with Phil Michelson winning the PGA. At my age, I'm always excited to watch a senior citizen beating the youngsters. I'm a little concerned, however, about the writer in my local paper referring to Mickelson as the  "Peoples' Champion." Given that Phil is clearly a millionaire a couple of times over and has griped and grumbled over the burden of high taxes on the rich, it doesn't seem to fit his conservative mindset. But I love the story about Phil flying all night cross-country during a tournament to be at his daughter's recital, then flying back again to play. A good father deserves a pass from a grumpy liberal like myself. So right on, Phil. Let's hear it for over 50. 

Norway vs Scotland for the Gold in the Mixed Doubles International Curling Championship in Aberdeen, Scotland. Canada vs Sweden for Bronze. U.S. needs to work at its game. 

I saw some moves by 76ers' Joel Embid in yesterdays win over the Washington Wizards that made me appreciate the big fella better - on the dead run down the center of the paint, received the pass and made a lovely finesse underhand reverse English layup, ala Step Curry. How about a three way tie for MVP: Jokic, Curry and Embid?

Why can't opponents figure out that Trae Young is going to shoot a floater when he penetrates the paint?

I love the way Russell Westbrook handled his trade to the Wizards like a true professional, never a whine, played hard 100%. Deserves a lot of credit. If he could ever hit consistent 3's he'd be un-guardable, but he rushes his shot. Hummingbird reflexes. A summer project? What do you say, Russell?

Knicks in the playoffs after an 8 year absence. Give Tibs and Julius Randle tons of credit. I wonder if the Lakers would love to have Randle back? 

Speaking of the Lakers, Andre Drummond has been a great surprise. Low post centers still have a value in the NBA. 

Speaking of the Lakers, it looks as if AD and LeBron are finally physically ready, which does not bode well for the rest of the Western Conference. 

The importance of three point shooting never more evident than the Utah win over the Griz last night.

Offense smashes into the chest of the defender, knocking him ass over tea kettle and the defender is called for a block??????? What the F- - k! Player sets a screen for dribbling teammate; player guarding the dribbler smashes into the blocker, spinning the blocker around. Ref calls moving screen????? OMG!  

The worst dribble-bully in the league is LeBron James. He lowers his shoulder and smashes into defenders at an All Star rate. Rarely get called for a charge. Harden ain't too bad at it either, although Harden's acting job, thrusting his arms dramatically into the air wins the Meschery Shakespeare Award. By the way, is anybody tired of LeBron always grabbing his head and writhing in pain when he gets knocked down 

Keep a lookout at the end of the season for Meschery's Gotcha Awards.

Instead of a poem. 

I urge all my readers to look up on the internet the story of Louis Armstrong's life as a virtually destitute child in New Orleans and being taken into the home of a Jewish family by the name of Karnovsky. You'll be inspired. Satchmo in Yiddish means "Fat Cheeks."

". . . It's a wonderful woild. . . oh, yeah!"


No comments: