meta name=”robots” content=”index, follow” Meschery's Musings of Sports, Literature, and Life Meschery's Musings on Sports, Literature and Life: Playoff and etc

What my musings are all about...

Blogging might well be the 21st century's form of journaling. As a writing teacher, I have always advised my students to keep a daily journal as a way of organizing their thoughts for future writing projects, a discipline I have unfortunately never consistently practiced myself. By blogging, I might finally be able to follow my own good advice.

The difference between journaling and blogging is that the blogger opens his or her writing to the public, something journal- writers are usually reluctant to do. I am not so reticent.

The trick for me will be to avoid cluttering the internet with more blather, something none of us need more of. If I stick to subjects I know: sports and literature, I believe I can avoid that pitfall. I can't promise that I'll not stray from time to time to comment on ancillary subjects, but I will make every attempt to be interesting and perhaps even insightful.

Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Playoff and etc

My Warriors do not look ready for the playoffs. This observation has nothing to do with their pitiful performance against the Utah Jazz. (Has there ever been a famous jazz musician from Utah?). Yes, the Jazz are a hot team, playing superb defense, the part of the game that is at the heart of the Dubs' problem. On close inspection, over the games minus Steph Curry, I have observed (observation #2) that the defensive "string" that binds the players on the court into a cohesive whole, is missing a piece of the string. All it takes is one player to lose his connection, ie: turn his head. lose vision, give up an easy lane, and in today's game with its fast pace, whip-around and cross-court passing, the stress the mistake places on the other four players is enough to break the continuity. As a blogger, I suppose I could name the player or players that appear to me to be deficient defensively, but I'll leave it up to our terrific coaches to sort this problem out, but sort it out they must.

Footnote #1:: Steph Curry's contribution to the Warriors' defensive scheme, given my criticism, can not be overstated. If Steph comes back reasonably healthy, the problem might solve itself.

Footnote #2: The Warriors are The Dubs when all their players are healthy, going full bore. The absence of key players recently has taxed the D. But that does not mean that the players who step in, should not be on the "String."

Patrick Reed, this year's Masters Champ's family history is personal. The press should lay off. However, Reed's past college problems - alleged thievery and team disruption - as they are related to sport, does appear to be fair media game.

I was pulling for Rory, and then Ricky, but I was impressed with Reed's poise and mental toughness. Being  numero uno on the leader board for all four rounds was no small feat. He forced the rest of the pack to play catch-up. So, right on, Captain America! However, the stars and strips score card is a little much.

One last comment about Patrick Reed. His body type is an inspiration to all weekend golfers. You don't have to be in shape to play golf. Have a few tacos, a couple of beers, and go for it. Who needs muscles.   

Years ago in the dark prehistoric days of the NBA, a number of players from the Cincinnati Royals, however unlikely it may seem, used the game of golf to get in shape for the coming NBA season. I don't recall if the Big O participated, but Wayne Embry, Adrian Smith, Bucky Buckhorn and Tom Hawkins did. They played in sweats, carried their own clubs, and sprinted between golf shots from the tee to the putting green. Now that's golf.

Wayne Embry, by the way, at 6'10" and a mile  wide set the best screens in the history of the NBA. No stats to verify, but I still have bruises after all these years.

Just a reminder, I'm still pulling for a four point line in the NBA. Imagine the arc of  the ball, fans holding their collective breath.

This morning's sport page was devoted mostly to baseball. My eyes are glazing over.

Here's a humorous tribute to golf. You may use your imagination as to the symbolism of the word, "club" in the poem.

A Public Nuisance   by Reginald Arkell

You know the fellow,
I have no doubt,
Who stands and waggles
His club about.

Empires crumble
And crowns decay;
Kings and Communists
Pass away.

Dictators rise
And dictators fall -
But still he stands
Addressing his ball







1 comment:

DTB-56 said...

Four points? I struggle with three points for a shot that is relatively easy to make. Why give three points for an opener jumper and two for a move from the post with a big defender draped over the shooter? Post play is almost non-existent now and that, in turn, has changed the nature of rebounding. Keep the three, but make it a reasonably difficult shot. I'm even OK with four, but it would have to be much harder than a three.