meta name=”robots” content=”index, follow” Meschery's Musings of Sports, Literature, and Life Meschery's Musings on Sports, Literature and Life: Warriors Win, Sixth Game on the Line.

What my musings are all about...

Blogging might well be the 21st century's form of journaling. As a writing teacher, I have always advised my students to keep a daily journal as a way of organizing their thoughts for future writing projects, a discipline I have unfortunately never consistently practiced myself. By blogging, I might finally be able to follow my own good advice.

The difference between journaling and blogging is that the blogger opens his or her writing to the public, something journal- writers are usually reluctant to do. I am not so reticent.

The trick for me will be to avoid cluttering the internet with more blather, something none of us need more of. If I stick to subjects I know: sports and literature, I believe I can avoid that pitfall. I can't promise that I'll not stray from time to time to comment on ancillary subjects, but I will make every attempt to be interesting and perhaps even insightful.

Monday, June 15, 2015

Warriors Win, Sixth Game on the Line.

It's essential in the giddy atmosphere of last night's victory over the Cavs in game 5, not to overlook the fact that the Dubs (god I hate that name. Reminds me of those gooey chocolate candies I used to eat in the movies that stuck in my teeth) have only played one full game well, the 3rd in Cleavland, which includes three and a half quarters of last night's game. The Dubs seem to be mesmerized by LeBron's slow down, plodding dribble up court, then are taken by surprise by his sudden bursts of speed. Until, that  is, they wear the King down and find their fourth quarter stride, their mojo of games past. 

There is no reason except James that the Warriors shouldn't have swept the series. I'm not joking. Look at the supporting cast James has. Tristan Thompson, a one dimensional player, albeit a damn good one, Mosgov, a solid center, but no Jabbar, not even a Dwight Howard. JR Smith is a streak player (D has to foul him hard on his first 3 point attempt, make him think; he's not a thinker.) and Shumpert is not a starter on any of the good NBA teams. I'll give it  to Delly for grit, but he does not yet have the skills of a starting point guard in this league like his fellow Gael, Patty Mills possesses.It will come, Delly with hard work.

So, it's a kind of three quarter swoon the "Dubs" go into against the Cavs, as if LeBron is hypnotizing them, "You're getting sleepy, you're forgetting to run, Close your eyes. Vote Republican." Sorry about the politics, but its kind of like that: voting against your best interests.

If the Warriors are going to win in Cleavland, they've got to control tempo from the start with energy, defensive toughness, and team rebounding. No second shots for Thompson, paleeze!

A last note. I noticed that in today's Golden State of the Mind Blog, the writer listed the Warriors and did not include Andrew Bogut. It might be a mistake if the coaching staff forgets about Bogut in this coming Cleavland game. I'm betting Cleavland's coaches are going to go back to Mosgov. They need his offense. Okay, I'm a big Ezili fan for the future, but if Bogut will compete hard, (not just commit hard fouls) he's a vet and knows a lot about the game. He's also a hell of a passer. I don't know why he's played so lousy in the Cavs series, but he could be some help, if only in short minutes against Mosgov on Tuesday night.

Here's part of a poem about track in honor of the Ducks winning both the men's and women's NCAA track Championship in Eugene, Oregon. The poet is William Meissner.

from Death of the Track Star

A magnet pulls at him again
from the finish line, the metal
of his legs is bending, churning.
He feels the choirs of wheezing,
a chestful of cinders.
This is a real running, he thinks, his heart
 beating hard in his heels.

No one can touch him, yet he touches
everyone; the crowd arches
as he breaks string after string
with his toughened throat. . .







No comments: