meta name=”robots” content=”index, follow” Meschery's Musings of Sports, Literature, and Life Meschery's Musings on Sports, Literature and Life: Trades Over, Now What?

What my musings are all about...

Blogging might well be the 21st century's form of journaling. As a writing teacher, I have always advised my students to keep a daily journal as a way of organizing their thoughts for future writing projects, a discipline I have unfortunately never consistently practiced myself. By blogging, I might finally be able to follow my own good advice.

The difference between journaling and blogging is that the blogger opens his or her writing to the public, something journal- writers are usually reluctant to do. I am not so reticent.

The trick for me will be to avoid cluttering the internet with more blather, something none of us need more of. If I stick to subjects I know: sports and literature, I believe I can avoid that pitfall. I can't promise that I'll not stray from time to time to comment on ancillary subjects, but I will make every attempt to be interesting and perhaps even insightful.

Tuesday, February 14, 2023

Trades Over, Now What?

 There's some excellent summaries and in depth comments from various sources about the recent NBA trading deadline and the results, so I won't go into a rehash. But I do need to voice my viewpoint. Here are a few limited comments:

Phoenix: KD will make a huge difference on both ends of the court. But if he gets hurt, goodbye any chance of the Suns making it to the playoffs because they gave up two terrific young wings. 

Dallas: Kyrie Irving will have difficulty figuring out how to play with ball dominant Doncic, but will get it finally. They'll make a strong run for the Western Conference championship, but will ultimtaely fail because the Mavs gave up too much Defense to get Kyrie. Donncic plays soft defense. Kyrie plays matador defense. Net (pardon the pun) is that the following season, Irving will screw things up. It's his unsettled mind. Kyrie says he has a seeking mind. I don't disagree. I think he probably is bright. But his mind is completely undisciplined. 

Brooklyn: As good as KD is, the owner had no choice but to start all over again. The addition of Finney-Smith and Dimwiddie  would not have been enough for them to get by the Celtics and the Bucks, and perhaps the 76ers. KD would have gone into next season older and unhappy. GM, Sean Marks, who was responsible for the debacle in the first place, at least had the foresight to understand this. For KD, he got back the draft capital he'd squandered in the Harden trade and acquired two very solid wings, Bridges and Johnson. And here I disagree with a lot of the pundits who call these two rotation players (I hate the word, pieces) They will not win much this season, but the franchise is saved from total mediocrity. Next thing Marks has to do is fire himself. 

Minnesota: I really like the move from DiAngelo Russell ot a stable thinking point guard in Mike Connelly. If ever a team needed floor management and mentorship, it was the TWolves. 

Got to mention my Warriors: I'm happy for Patton's return. Even if he doesn't contribute this year, it is a win for winning in the Curry era. Wiseman may or may not have developed into the center of the future. I wish him well. He possesses a lovely touch. But would he ever have the defensive power required of his position? That is the question. Again, I wish him luck in that area too. 

That's about it that is for the trade deadline. Now it's Buy Out time. A little more drama. 

Now, on to other subjects:

If the NCAA expands beyond its 68 teams, paint them greedy because they will have watered down the tournament for money. The loss of possible Cinderella teams would be tragic. 

You have to love the relationship between Andy Reed and Eric Bieniemy. I have a vision of these two big-bellied coaches in retirement sitting on a front porch somewhere sipping beers and talking about their NFL days when the two made football history. 

Congratulations to Candace Parker, the first woman to be color commentator for an NBA All-Star Game. 

Patrick Mahomes is to the NFL as Steph Curry is to the NBA.

Why Eric "Freedom" Kantor is picking on LeBron James about the NBA/China relationship is beginning to sound like it's personal and not a righteous political stance. Kantor, a Turk, risking his life to stand up to dictatorial Turkish President Erdogon is courageous, while his attack on LeBron sounds petty. Kantor's recent report card about LeBron after LeBron began the highest scorer in NBA history is simply untrue. While King James has not taken a stand against China, he took a stand against Donald Trump and for Black Lives Matter. He and Chris Paul were responsible for better benefits for retired players. And as a retired teacher, I am impressed with LeBron's school in Akron, Ohio, that has helped so many youngsters. Lighten up. Show a little empathy. 

As for Kantor himself, I can think of a number of NBA teams who he'd help as a back-up center compared to the ones they have now. Freedom claims he's being blackballed. 

I'm working on a little collection for elementary school children who like sports. Here are a couple of riddles that are fun. 


Who Dat? #5 

There’s no denying
He’s death defying
Jumped canyons on bikes
Made it across. Yikes!\

*Name the person.
*Name the canyon.

  

Who Dat? #6 

There was a bird before Magic
A Hawk whose career was tragic
Long banned from the NBA
“til he was almost too old to play.
 
*Name the athlete.
*Explain why he was banned from playing in the NBA.

 

 

 

 

 


No comments: