meta name=”robots” content=”index, follow” Meschery's Musings of Sports, Literature, and Life Meschery's Musings on Sports, Literature and Life: Closing in on NBA Tade Deadline

What my musings are all about...

Blogging might well be the 21st century's form of journaling. As a writing teacher, I have always advised my students to keep a daily journal as a way of organizing their thoughts for future writing projects, a discipline I have unfortunately never consistently practiced myself. By blogging, I might finally be able to follow my own good advice.

The difference between journaling and blogging is that the blogger opens his or her writing to the public, something journal- writers are usually reluctant to do. I am not so reticent.

The trick for me will be to avoid cluttering the internet with more blather, something none of us need more of. If I stick to subjects I know: sports and literature, I believe I can avoid that pitfall. I can't promise that I'll not stray from time to time to comment on ancillary subjects, but I will make every attempt to be interesting and perhaps even insightful.

Saturday, February 4, 2023

Closing in on NBA Tade Deadline

It's been awhile since I blogged. I welcome myself back, "How ya doing Meschery," I say aloud. "Okay," I say, "until I woke up this morning and saw that Kyrie Irving has demanded to be traded before this season's trade deadline on February 9th. Gee, that doesn't give the Nets much time to breath, let alone find some kind of trade possibility for one of the best one-on-one players and one of the most selfish and locker-room disrupting players in the history of the NBA. Not that there aren't a few teams that could use a player as talented as Kyrie. But do they really want to take on the migraine Kyrie would bring with him. Lakers, of course, have been the most noticeable team in the conversation for Kyrie's services. Fine with me. I'm an old Warrior. The rivalry is still in my blood. Let the Lakers have him.  

Here's what I propose the Nets do, and they got to do it pronto, so they can take advantage of as much trade time as is left. The Lakers get Kyrie. The Nets get: Hashimura, Walker Two, and Bryant. The Nets will take Westbrook, but will require the Lakers assume half of his contract for this season. Westbrook, of course, can not remain with the Nets, so the Nets must make a trade for Westbrook as quickly as possible. At this point forget the value -or-value nonsense. There is no value for the Nets to have Westbrook on their team. Check around the league. See what the offers will be. Take what you can get, preferably draft choices. It's rebuild time for the Nets. The "greatest team that never was" is in the "Was." stage. 

Finally, the Nets have to suck it up and deal with KD.  They should do it with respect for one of the greatest players that ever played in the NBA. Unlike James Hardin, who saw the Kyrie writing on the wall and forced his way out, KD did not pursue his earlier desire to be traded and stuck it out, relying on his friend to stick it out too. Sorry KD, Kyrie is not the loyal friend you thought he was. But this is beside the point. KD is a serious asset for a rebuilding team. There should be lots of takers, especially as he is already signed. Teams can judge what they can bear financially by assuming KD's contract. If the Nets have to wait for summer, that's okay too. KD is a 100% baller and will do his best as long as he knows he's being treated fairly. 

For the Nets, the future must be all in for a rebuild. Anything else is spinning the wheels in the direction of mediocrity. Once summer comes around, the Nets can explore other trade possibilities. Lots of excellent veteran roll-players on the team to trade:  Curry, Mills, Harris, O'Neale. A bunch of teams would love to have a two-way player like Royce O'Neale, a shooter like Seth Curry, a 3 pt-shooter like Joe Harris, and an energy guy like Patty Mills. 

Of course, this strategy is all based on the Lakers wanting Kyrie badly enough. It may turn out that no team wants Kyrie badly enough to give up their best players or first round draft choices. In that case, what do the Nets do? As far as I'm concerned, Kyrie is poison. The Nets can't wait until the summer when Kyrie is a free agent. Get rid of the dude. Take draft choices, a low first or a couple of high seconds. The Nets can throw in a cheer leader, only get rid of Irving. 

I've used this poem before, but feeling sorry for KD, here's the one I wrote about him:

KD

From our seats
beneath the basket,
watching KD
before the game,
I’m wondering
where have I seen
such fluid grace before,
almost like liquid,
as if Durant
was out to prove
the truth
inscribed on Keats’ tombstone:
Here lies one whose name
is writ in water.
 

 


No comments: