meta name=”robots” content=”index, follow” Meschery's Musings of Sports, Literature, and Life Meschery's Musings on Sports, Literature and Life: KD or Nash

What my musings are all about...

Blogging might well be the 21st century's form of journaling. As a writing teacher, I have always advised my students to keep a daily journal as a way of organizing their thoughts for future writing projects, a discipline I have unfortunately never consistently practiced myself. By blogging, I might finally be able to follow my own good advice.

The difference between journaling and blogging is that the blogger opens his or her writing to the public, something journal- writers are usually reluctant to do. I am not so reticent.

The trick for me will be to avoid cluttering the internet with more blather, something none of us need more of. If I stick to subjects I know: sports and literature, I believe I can avoid that pitfall. I can't promise that I'll not stray from time to time to comment on ancillary subjects, but I will make every attempt to be interesting and perhaps even insightful.

Friday, August 12, 2022

KD or Nash

 KD has demanded his Net's coach, Steve Nash, and GM Sean Marks go or he goes. The controversy is on, talking heads yapping, and clapping back. All kinds of opinions. Nets holding out for a huge trade package. Doing a Danny Ainge, asking for the moon. I love KD's game and no one doubts Kyrie Irivng is as good as it gets on offense, while being very unenthusiastic on D. If the two stars could mend fences, get it together and ball like they're capable of, with the roster of quality secondary players Sean Marks has put together, the Nets could compete for a championship in the East. But it would require the two superstars to be TRULY on the same page. Moi, I don't see that happening. Sooo, UNCOMMIETED DUO, as good as they are and as decent as the supporting cast is, can NOT get past the second round of the Eastern Conference playoffs.

That said, what's left for the Nets to do? Again, lots of opinions: Trade one, trade both, keep both for a year, since they're on contracts, see what happens, etc, etc. I'm on the side of trade them both. But I have a different take on what the trades should look like from what. I'm not buying in to this value for value nonsense. Define value. Frankly, I don't see a lot of value in either KD or Kyrie the way things are playing out and I don't see teams willing to forfeit their futures to get either of these players. They want them, but not for the MOON. The moon is a long way off as any amateur astronomer will tell you. 

Here's my take on what the Nets should do. Don't shoot for the moon. Stay firmly rooted to the earth. Get rid of these two flacks as fast as you can. Not a fire sale, mind you, but take an offer that provides you with rising young stars and first and sccond round draft choices. But make your asking price that a team would really consider.  

Let's take one trade scenario for example that is probabably still on the table. The Boston Celtics have offered Jaylen Brown, a true rising star, along with Derrick White, a solid mid-age two way guard and an unprotected first round draft choice. The Nets countered that they wanted Marcus Smart too. No, said the Celts. I don't blame them. However, a dynamic duo of KD and Jayson Tatum is far too great an enticement that the Celtics would not entertain a counter offer. How about forgoing Smart and asking for Grant Williams and a second to go along with the 2023 first round unprotected draft choice? The Celts would be nuts not to go for it. Sure, I admit, for the Nets, it would not be value for value, But this is not the point. The Nets need to get rid of the two head-cases and get younger, more stable and more mature. There is a ton of value in Jaylen Brown. And lot's of value in a two-way young wing like Williams. It's reasonable to think that the Nets might be handing the Celtics an NBA Championship, but that's okay. The Nets' only concern at this moment in time is moving on from insanity. 

While the KD trade is going on, the Nets should also be seeking to trade Kyrie Irving. As long as the Nets ignore that silly ass value for value idea, they ought to find a couple of young rising stars and more draft choices that teams would be willing to give up for Kyrie's instant offense. The way the game is being played today, I'm all for finding tall, long two-way players. HERE'S THE DEAL, as President Biden says. Nets, you need to shed the nutjobs, get YOUNG, accumulate FIRST AND SECOND ROUND DRAFT CHOICES. You need to THINK BROOLYN. If players don't want to play in one of the best hoop meccas in the NBA, screw 'em. Let 'em go! Build a team of men, not cry babies. It's ok to pay big $ to grown ups, but not to spoiled children. Right now, for example, if I was Sean Marks I'd much prefer to build my team around Jaylen Brown than KD. And I'd take Jaylen Suggs with Franz Wagner as part of the deal from Orlando for Kyrie in a heart beat. I can think of a bunch more young up-and-comers I'd rather have than Kyrie. 

ZEN OF BASKETBALL    by Tom Meschery

The game is still the game,
round ball, round hoop, glass
through which fans wave to you
to score free points or wave for you to miss. 
What's on your mind is a kind of nothingness.
You crouch, you shoot. The ball will enter or it won't.




No comments: