meta name=”robots” content=”index, follow” Meschery's Musings of Sports, Literature, and Life Meschery's Musings on Sports, Literature and Life: Durant to the Warriors???

What my musings are all about...

Blogging might well be the 21st century's form of journaling. As a writing teacher, I have always advised my students to keep a daily journal as a way of organizing their thoughts for future writing projects, a discipline I have unfortunately never consistently practiced myself. By blogging, I might finally be able to follow my own good advice.

The difference between journaling and blogging is that the blogger opens his or her writing to the public, something journal- writers are usually reluctant to do. I am not so reticent.

The trick for me will be to avoid cluttering the internet with more blather, something none of us need more of. If I stick to subjects I know: sports and literature, I believe I can avoid that pitfall. I can't promise that I'll not stray from time to time to comment on ancillary subjects, but I will make every attempt to be interesting and perhaps even insightful.

Monday, August 8, 2022

Durant to the Warriors???

 This morning I read an article written by Dieter Kalltenbach of the Mercury News about Durant returning to the Warriors that made some sense. Whether the Dubs would entertain such a trade is the question. In terms of solving the Warriors massive tax problem, it seems to be a solution of sorts since Durant is already signed and would be a known financial entity. It also makes some sense because it does not force the Warriors to entirely give up their future team. The writer, Kalltenbach, predicts that the Nets would definetly entertain a package of Jordan Poole, Andrew Wiggins, Jonathon Kuminga and a 2023 first and second round draft choices. It's possible. Say they do agree to this package and the  Curry led team and KD would say no hard feelings and the reunite would happen, what would be the result? Pretty amazing stuff, I imagine. For the next 3 or 4 years the Warriors win the NBA Championshiip. While that is happening, the weriter believes those years would see James Wiseman and Moses Moody (I'm a huge fan of Moody's potential) develop their game. Both have a chance to be excellent, even NBA All Stars. 

Granted, losing Poole and Wiggens are significant losses, Kaltenback writes, but Durant is Durant. As much as Wiggins is a fabulous wing scorer and defender, he is not KD. Poole is a future star, and his presence in the post Curry era would be missed, but for a player like Durant a team must be willing to give up a great young player. With that deal with the Nets made and Durant back in the linewup, the writer suggests the Warriors would still have part of their strategy of growing a future dynasty in place and time during the championship years to keep building on the Wiseman, Moody core. A still young Divenzenzo could remain. The Warriors would still have their two draft choices: Patrick Baldwin Jr. and Ryan Rollins. Throw in a fiesty young Mac McClung and whomever the ever creative Warrior GM Bob Myers could discover, hey, worth thinking about seriously?

What do I think of this scenario? Well, according to the writer, it would help the Warriors tax situation, and God knows, Joe Lacob has been totaly generous, and could use a break. That said, Warrior ownership is very smart and determined. I suspect they'll give it some  consideration. But will they go for it? I think a lot would depend on KD. According to the Kalltenback article, KD admitted he made a mistake leaving the Warriors. I checked all through the internet and found no such public admission. Lots of ex-players-talking-heads are saying it, but not from the horse's mouth. Another thing to consider and it's Big, The Warriors think-tank believe in its present old and young core. They feel they have the players in place NOW. Why reinvent the wheel, even for KD? In addition, and the writer did not point this out, there's going to be a huge uptick in the cap-space with the new TV contract the NBA is about to sign. So, perhaps solving the luxury tax problem is not so crucial. 

Okay, Meschery, we're getting old out here. Yes to this scenario or no? Oh, I dearly love KD's game, but here's my answer, Drum roll please! This old Warrior predicts there would be lots of discussion, but in the end the Warriors would stick to their plan.  

Next, one of the top ten funniest sport's poem I've read:

I TRY TO TURN IN MY JOCK   By David Hilton

     The way I see it, is when I step out on the court
      and feel inside that I can't make the plays,
      it'll be time to call it quits - Elgin Baylor

Going up for the jump shot,
Giving the kid the head fakes and all
'Till he's jocked right out of the door of the gym
And I'm free at the top with the ball and my touch
Lofting the arc off my fingertips,
I feel my left calf turn to stone
And my ankle warp inward to form when i land
A neat right angle with my leg,
And i'm on he floor,
A pile of sweat and sick muscles,
Saying,
Hilton,
You're 29, getting fat,
Can't drive to your right anymore,
You can think of better things to do
On Saturday aaafternoons than be a chump
For a bunch of sophomore third-stringers;
Join the Y, steam and martinis and muscletone.
But, shit,
The shot goes in. 






No comments: