meta name=”robots” content=”index, follow” Meschery's Musings of Sports, Literature, and Life Meschery's Musings on Sports, Literature and Life: Days of the NBA Playoff's Lives

What my musings are all about...

Blogging might well be the 21st century's form of journaling. As a writing teacher, I have always advised my students to keep a daily journal as a way of organizing their thoughts for future writing projects, a discipline I have unfortunately never consistently practiced myself. By blogging, I might finally be able to follow my own good advice.

The difference between journaling and blogging is that the blogger opens his or her writing to the public, something journal- writers are usually reluctant to do. I am not so reticent.

The trick for me will be to avoid cluttering the internet with more blather, something none of us need more of. If I stick to subjects I know: sports and literature, I believe I can avoid that pitfall. I can't promise that I'll not stray from time to time to comment on ancillary subjects, but I will make every attempt to be interesting and perhaps even insightful.

Sunday, May 12, 2024

Days of the NBA Playoff's Lives

 It's been a bit of a soap opera with the Phoenix Suns and the LA Lakers with super star failures and dramatic sweeps. I had my hanky out as I watched AD of the Lakers prove once again he doens't produce in the 4th quarter. The menage-a-trois of the Suns was swept by TWolves for the Sun's lack of a point guard and a weak bench and an overrated Bradley Beal. 

I brought the hanky out again as I watched the Clippers 4 Super Star bundle unravel, proving to me that this strategy of bundling ageing stars is as passe as last year's women's fashions. Perhaps, like fashion, it will come back in a future decade. But, for now, the last decade's stars, although sill viable individually, are no longer athletic and young enough to fuse into championships units.The GMs of these star overload teams need to think of a new script. Durant and Paul George are free agents. As individuals these aging stars are still enormously valuable, take Kyrie Irving for example, one aging star among all the young ones. But that's the last hint I'll give the GM unless they want to sign me to a consulting contract. Any takers?

Some observations along the playoff path: The Knicks/Pacers series have been very enjoyable, both teams playing scrappy ball. Knikcs better not tire Brunson out, or hey risk losing. I'm pulling for the Knicks, however, how can someone not for a team with Hart, Brunson and DiVincenzo playing on the same Villanova team. That they all wound up on the Knicks close to their homes and college greatness, that's worth cheering for. 

My grandson says anybody but the Celtics. Are they such villians? I suppose you look up in the rafers and see so many NBA championsips that it's easy to look at them as Darth Vadors. In my opinion, the Celts should win the East. This is especially true if Porzingis returns soon. They still rely way too much on the three ball, but that's a league wide sin, so it's hard to fault them when the have three excellent three ball shooters. Derrick White has come into his own this season. Is there an All Star Two Way Guard Team? He'd be one of the top five.  

With the season over for someteams and darn near over for others, the teams I'd hate to be managing are the ones straddling the middle, like the Hawks, Heat, and Bulls. In the West, the Warriors and the Kings are in the same position and need to do some serious thinking. These fence sitting teams have enough juice that the wrong decision could be destastrous. The Kings need toughness. Is there a quick fix for them? Do the Wariors finally say, our era of greatness has ended with noble efforts. It's time for a rebuild. In MIami, I think Butler is overrated. Should the heat look to pick up some good players in return for him. As for the Hawks and Bulls, how do you uptick from mediocrity?

As for the Bucks, how do you make up for the terrible decision to trade Jru Holiday and bring in Dame Lillard? Did the Bucks win a championship with a pick and roll offense? No. Do the Buck need fresh legs? Yes. 

As for the 76ers? Will Joel Embid ever have an injury free season? The answer is NO. All you have to do is watch the way Embid runs. Never with a strong center of gravity. The Sixers have no choice but to stay with Joel Embid. They have a strong cocah and many worthy players. If I were the Sixers, I would be inquiring into pysical fitness gurus, looking for solutions for Embids propensity for injury. I'm serious when I advise talking to trainers for ballet dancers. But also Martial Arts trainers. There might be diet considerations. The Sixers have got to think outside the box. Joel Embid is worth the effort.  

If I'm the GM and coach of the Orlando Magic, I'm excited about the ruture. Find a true point guard and a floor spreading hree point shooting wing. I ditto he GM of the Thunder here even though hey are still playing in the West. They are full of great yound prospects. Future looking good for them. 

I'm not forgetting the Grizzlies. Ja Morant will be back. He is enough to put the team back into playoff contention. But they could sure use Steven Adams back. Perfect for this team. Jared Jackson at the wing 4 was a holy threat. Adams didn't need the ball but filled up the paint. Also, he was and is tough as nails. And a man of character, strong locker room is someting the Griz need in the Morant era. As strange as theis sound, considering I critized Ja heavily, I believe he's going to come out of this weirdness a better player and a better man. 

And the Utah Jazz, well, they have to keep doing their OKC accumulating draft choices imitation for the time being.  

This leaves us checking out the top teams. Predictions? 

Nuggets in the West      vs     Celtics in the East

Ta, ta, ta, TA! And the winner of the 2024 NBA Championship goes to Serbia. 

It's hocky playoffs, so here's a basketball players viewpoint poem:

WHY I NEVER PLAYED HOCKEY 

It’s too fast. I can’t follow the puck.
I’m cold even in this padded uniform.
I feel like I’m in the North Korean army
and we’re invading the South,
then the South is invading us,
then we’re back at it. We will go on
like this forever invading each other
on a field of ice. I feel as if I have a cage
over my head. I am ten and the ice
on the pond is cracking under my skates.
I’m twenty in the NHL, and I have no teeth.

No comments: