meta name=”robots” content=”index, follow” Meschery's Musings of Sports, Literature, and Life Meschery's Musings on Sports, Literature and Life: TRADE DEADLINE OVER

What my musings are all about...

Blogging might well be the 21st century's form of journaling. As a writing teacher, I have always advised my students to keep a daily journal as a way of organizing their thoughts for future writing projects, a discipline I have unfortunately never consistently practiced myself. By blogging, I might finally be able to follow my own good advice.

The difference between journaling and blogging is that the blogger opens his or her writing to the public, something journal- writers are usually reluctant to do. I am not so reticent.

The trick for me will be to avoid cluttering the internet with more blather, something none of us need more of. If I stick to subjects I know: sports and literature, I believe I can avoid that pitfall. I can't promise that I'll not stray from time to time to comment on ancillary subjects, but I will make every attempt to be interesting and perhaps even insightful.

Friday, February 9, 2024

TRADE DEADLINE OVER

The trade deadline is over. The Big Dogs went early. So it's time to for a few over all comments. First of all, congratualations to the Warriors for for staying pat and not jumping the gun. With the return of Draymond (playing great at small-ball center and keeping his cool), the Dubs have figured out a solid Starting Five, which allows them all sorts of flexibility off the bench. Don't be surprised if the Warriors SURPRISE by the end of the season. 

 I was also happy to see the Kings didn't make any big moves, but they should have signed Robin Lopez and waived Lim.I would have liked it if they had gone all in for Alex Caruso and in a pinch if not too costly, for Patrick Beverly. The Kings desperatly need a defensive PRESENCE, atpoint of attack. Caruso, apparently was not available and Beverly was.I guess a little iffy for the GM. Speaking of Beverly, the Bucks were smart to pick him up. They were mired in defensive quick sand. Beverly is not just an attack dog. He's a decent all around guard, and he'll stir things up, that's for sure. He did it for the TWolves. 

 I like 7 foot Olynyk going to Toronto. Canadian back home, but he is solid off the bench and will suprise the team with plus minutes when they need it.Another well coached Gonzaga player. Suns helped themselves with Royce O'Neale. I'm still not a big fan of Beal. Nurkic is working out for the Suns. he's not a Jokic, but he's tough and can pass and the suns sure don't need scorers. Another team that stood pat was Portland. Waiting until the end of the season to see where Grant and Brogdon shake out was smart.They did make a mistake acquiring Ayton who is I've heard is not very stable and a bit of a malcontent. T

he Knicks made a good trade after losing Randle and Annobye to injury. Bojan Bogdanovic shoots 41% from deepm which will help to keep the middle open for Brunson. Burke is solid off the bench and know's Tib's system.If DeVincenzp can keep up the shooting threes? I read Randle will be back. If he can regain his game in time for the playoff, the Knicks are my upset team to win the East Tillman will help the Celtics.However, Tatum has got to show me he has playoff chops. Now, Brown, on the other hand, does. Cal guy. The Bulls are a mess. They stood pat, probably for the best, but they have no plan that I can see. Every team in the league wants Caruso. Lavine's medical history makes him an iffy trade value.They have to find a direction. Questinable GM as a decision maker. Rozier was alreay traded to the Heat by deadline and will help Spoelsta a lot come playoff time when the Heat start scaring the pants off teams. Might want to threaten him that if he doesn't play well, they'll send him back to the Hornets. That sould stoke his fire. I"ve neveer liked "sylish" ball-handlers, that's why I've never been a big fan of Dennis Schroeder, but he is a good defender and will help the Nets. So smart to hold on to Mikal Bridges. The West has to watch out for Dallas. The Mavs picked up PJ Washington and Daniel Gafford, a 4 & a 5 with length and toughness. They had to give up Grant Williams, these two will give the Mavs a power game. 

Have you ever noticided how players like Doncic and Curry,the great deep shooters' shots always swish? Big trade winner in my mind is the Detroit Pistons that have been operating on two cylinders. They dumped a bunch of players and completly shored up a woeful bench. Bench strenght is essential. Grimes will definately be a big plus for them. They'll miss Bojan, but you get nothing for nothing. Grimes was a good choice.They might start winning some game finally and will be tons better going into summeer with tradeable players. Denver stood pat. Right now it's the Clippers and the Nuggets to win the West. Right now does not mean in April or May.The Clips lose either Kawhi or Paul George and they become vunlnerable Jokic will be only better come Playoff. He plays harder the closer he gets to a chance to get home tto his horses.

I had some computor problems and could not post the poem I wanted in honor of the 49ers Christian McCaffrey:

McCaffrey (With apologies to T.S. Elliot)


 McCaffrey’s the running back

Who’s a mystery to none at all

He breaks through any D line

He keeps his fans in awe

He’s the bafflement of tacklers

Defensive coaches’ despair

For when they look to find him

McCaffrey’s not there.

 

 

McCaffrey, McCaffrey,

There’s no one like McCaffrey,

He breaks the rules of velocity

His powers of misdirection

Would make magicians stare

For when the tacklers look for him

McCaffrey’s not there.

 

Defenders seek him running

Or receiving, which is hardly rare

But they are left with weeping

‘Cause McCaffrey’s never there

 

                         Tom Meschery  (49er fan)

                         Golden State Warrior, #14 ret.




No comments: