meta name=”robots” content=”index, follow” Meschery's Musings of Sports, Literature, and Life Meschery's Musings on Sports, Literature and Life: NBA ALL-STAR HANDSOME TEAM

What my musings are all about...

Blogging might well be the 21st century's form of journaling. As a writing teacher, I have always advised my students to keep a daily journal as a way of organizing their thoughts for future writing projects, a discipline I have unfortunately never consistently practiced myself. By blogging, I might finally be able to follow my own good advice.

The difference between journaling and blogging is that the blogger opens his or her writing to the public, something journal- writers are usually reluctant to do. I am not so reticent.

The trick for me will be to avoid cluttering the internet with more blather, something none of us need more of. If I stick to subjects I know: sports and literature, I believe I can avoid that pitfall. I can't promise that I'll not stray from time to time to comment on ancillary subjects, but I will make every attempt to be interesting and perhaps even insightful.

Thursday, February 22, 2024

NBA ALL-STAR HANDSOME TEAM

 In 2015, my wife Melanie Marchant and i were watching a Warriors' game. It was sometime in the fourth quarter and the game was close. I had to leave for a bathroom break. I told my wife to give me a running play by play account of what I was missing. This is how it sounded: "Steph is bringing the ball up the court; he' passes to Klay who passes to Draymond, Steph cuts off Draymond for a handoff and Harrison Barnes is looking very handsome tonight."

Melanie is an artist. Before I conviced her to retire, she taught art and art history at Sacrmento City College. She is an eclectic painter and can paint just about anyting from religious icons to landscapes. I am particularly fond of her portraits and there is no questtion she excels as a portrait painter. As I've often told her, she would have made a fortune back in the day when their was not photography. It is this special talent that draws her to examine faces. And as a huge NBA fan, it was only a matter of time until she came up with her favorite faces. 

I tried to talk her into a 1st, 2nd, & 3rd team, but she believes keeping selections without tiers will allow for other portrait painter/NBA fans to subtract and add, which would make for better comments on my Blog. I won't argue with that. Arguing with my wife is usually wasting my breath  anyway. She also wants me to explain that handsome can also mean cute or interesting. We're talking bone structure and things of that nature. And she wishes to express her apologies to the guys on the bench who don't play a lot that she hasn't seen, who could make the team had she the opportunity to see them properly. So here goes: Congratulation to all you handsome dudes. 

STEPH CURRY            HARRISON BARNES        AARON GORDON   

THE THOMPSON TWINS (Count as one face)      VICTOR WEMBANYAMA

JALEN GREEN       CHRIS PAUL     BISMACK  BIYOMBO    MYLES TURNER

JOSH GIDDY      DENI AVDIJA     KEVIN LOVE      TYRESE MAXEY

GUI SANTOS     JEREMY SOCHAN   RUI HACHIMURA    DE'AARON FOX


 While the NBA season is starting its sprint to the finish line, I'm reminded that the NHL season is underway. I don't do hockey. I can't follow the puck. But I do admire the sport. And I did write a poem about it in my collection Sweat: New and Selected Poems About Sports. 


 WHY I NEVER PLAYED HOCKEY  By Tom Meschery

It’s too fast. I can’t follow the puck.
I’m cold even in this padded uniform.
I feel like I’m in the North Korean army
and we’re invading the South,
then the South is invading us,
then we’re back at it. We will go on
like this forever invading each other
on a field of ice. I feel as if I have a cage
over my head. I am ten and the ice
on the pond is cracking under my skates.
I’m twenty in the NHL, and I have no teeth.
 
 


No comments: