meta name=”robots” content=”index, follow” Meschery's Musings of Sports, Literature, and Life Meschery's Musings on Sports, Literature and Life: Musing About Refs & Other Gripes

What my musings are all about...

Blogging might well be the 21st century's form of journaling. As a writing teacher, I have always advised my students to keep a daily journal as a way of organizing their thoughts for future writing projects, a discipline I have unfortunately never consistently practiced myself. By blogging, I might finally be able to follow my own good advice.

The difference between journaling and blogging is that the blogger opens his or her writing to the public, something journal- writers are usually reluctant to do. I am not so reticent.

The trick for me will be to avoid cluttering the internet with more blather, something none of us need more of. If I stick to subjects I know: sports and literature, I believe I can avoid that pitfall. I can't promise that I'll not stray from time to time to comment on ancillary subjects, but I will make every attempt to be interesting and perhaps even insightful.

Friday, April 21, 2023

Musing About Refs & Other Gripes

 The NBA players cited recently that the referees are the #1 problem in the league.  Hey, guys, I'll tell you a secret, back when I played some decades ago, they were also the #1 problem in our minds. That's how long the problem has existed without any satisfactory remedy. Granted, being a ref in the NBA is a monstrously difficult job. The game is so fast and the skill-sets so refined and now that the game is being played so often in the air, I can't imagine refereees don't go home after games with migraines from trying to get it right. 

However, it seems to me that the league office has not done enough to clear up some of the most obvious problems. Three come to mind: 1) What is an allowable screen and what is a moving screen? 2) When driving to the basket when is the offense charging into the defender or when has the defender illegally blocked the offense?  And finally, 3) What kind of act or acts constitute a suspension? 

Let me begin by saying in the case of the second problem that it seems to me that the referees give the nod mostly to the offense. Still, I recognize that a defender can slide into the path of the offense in order to draw a foul. I also recognize how often the offense in the NBA simply thrusts himself at the defender to draw a foul. n both cases, it's a form of trickery that should be stopped. 

How does the league solve the first two problems? The answer is as simple and as complicated as SCHOOL. There should be a six month ro a year REFEREE ACADEMY for those men and women aspiring to be referees in the NBA. The league already has the G League where graduates of the ACADEMY can practice what they have learned. This ACADEMY must be taken seriously; there should be grades and expulsions like any other school. For existing referees, I suggest there should be required classes in refereeing that must be taken every four years like public school teacher are required to take in order to keep their credentials current. In the ACADEMY, one of the most important parts of the referees' curriculum would be classes taught by knowledgeable coaches as to the difference between moving screens and legal screens as well as classes in what is arecharges and what are blocks. I can imagine a lot of classes covering all aspects of the game of basketball taught by, for example, well known college coaches like Mike Krzyzewski. For working refs, there should be SUMMEER SCHOOL WORKSHOPS. Finally, referees' salaries should be raised and each referee should be graded at the end of every season, which is probably being done in some way now, but I wonder if it is done with the gravitas that it needs to be. I submit it is probably not. 

For the last problem: Suspensions. This is a league issue, not a referee issue. There are protocols already in place that seem reasonable to me. However, they have not been explained fully. The recent suspensions of Draymond Green and James Hardin and the non suspension of Joel Embid illustrate the point. It is essential that players, coaches, GMs, owners, media and fans know clearly that a HISTORY of flagrant fouls and acts detrimental to the NBA will be taken into account when determining a game or games suspension. Be careful Dillon Brooks

Postscript: I really don't know what to do about players constantly chirping to the refs. Possibly, the refs should be able to file complaints against egrigious offenders who can't keep their mouths shut. Besides, it's so undignified always complaining. And there is the story about Peter & the Wolf. Required reading? 

A few notes about the playoffs:  

The way Mikael Bridges is playing, the Suns might regret trading him for KD. Okay, I know it's KD, but we're talking about Bridges being young and sturdy and as it turns out one hell of an offensive threat. Ditto to a certain degree for Cam Johnson. He is one hell of a floor spacer and it looks like he's developing a handle. I like the Core the Nets have. Build on this core and the teams future looks bright. 

Did the Warriors look like THE WARRIORS this Thursday night as they defeated the Kings at Chase Arena convincingly? I was happy to see Moses Moody (clearly named after my grandson Moses) make a solid contribution. I've been a believer in Moody since the Warriors drafted him. He possesses all the components and mechanics that should make him a solid pro. Perhaps last night was a breakout game for him. Keeping my fingers crossed. And I'll say it again, LOONEY RULES.  And a big shout out for Donte DiV's hustle, energy, toughness and smarts. CURRY? What more can be said? 

It was not made clear enough that Claxton intentionally stepped over the fallen Embid. It was not a matter of Claxon's only way to depart his spot. He could have easily veered to his right. Bad ju jus, dude. It's what Lebron did to Draymond Green in 2016. You do that on the playground, you fight. 

I have never been a fan of James Harden. Until this season. He has become in my mind the total pro, having  given up some of his offense for the betterment of his team. He still knocks down long threes, but now he is a true point guard and a terrific model for upcoming, exciting Tyreese Maxey. 

Will the Clippers ever see Kawhi and Paul George on the court at the same time????? What's next? A teardown and a rebuild? The Clippers have a lot of solid players that teams will give up draft choices for. 

I love what the Kings have done this season. McNair for GM of the year to join Mike Brown's Coach of the Year. Last night, I saw a problem with the team that I hadn't really thought of before. Their success is too much dependent on Fox penetrating the paint. If you curtail that part of Fox's game, make him shoot from distance, it creates a problem for the Kings. They are still solid, but more exposed late in the game. 

The Suns can't win. Ayton is too soft. Chris Paul is not the trickster he used to be, and KD, although still instant offense, is not the wing defender he used to be. 

One last and hopefully my last word on Dillon Brooks' trash talk. He needs to think about the kind of rep he is going to be remembered for after he retires. If he keeps up this kind of childish trash talking, star denigrating, poking the bearl bull crap, he will not be remembered for the excellent two way basketball player he is , but for his big mouth. Dillon, you don't know how stupid you looked running down the court screaming and clapping your hands in Lebron's face. And just to get this straight, it has been observed and spoken of by other players and commentators that you weren't doing much trash talking the pervious night when the Lakers beat your team on your homecourt. You realize don't you, that in a playoffs, a 7 gane series, the Lakers did what was required, steal a game on the opponents' home court. Now we'll see what your Griz can do on the Lakers floor. 

When playoffs come around my thoughts often turn to the great players I played against in past playoffs, a time on the floor that is the most intense and the most enjoyable. Here's a poem I wrote for Elgin. Oh, my how dificult he was to guard. 


ELGIN BAYLOR

The first time I saw him play,
 a senior for Seattle U, he hovered
 like a bird, a moment in the air,
 throwing a pass from the baseline,
 the length of the court, not looking
 to a teammate sprinting past
 the mid-court stripe who scored
 unguarded. I was a senior
 playing basketball in high school,
 who knew what I was watching
 wasn’t possible, that it must have been
 my imagination, something my teachers
 said I had too much of, which was okay
 with me, because if I didn’t play well in college
 and never made it into the NBA,
 there were other careers I could aspire to
 where imagination would be helpful,
 although, at the time, I couldn’t imagine one.
 
                  
 



No comments: