meta name=”robots” content=”index, follow” Meschery's Musings of Sports, Literature, and Life Meschery's Musings on Sports, Literature and Life: Once Again into the Breach

What my musings are all about...

Blogging might well be the 21st century's form of journaling. As a writing teacher, I have always advised my students to keep a daily journal as a way of organizing their thoughts for future writing projects, a discipline I have unfortunately never consistently practiced myself. By blogging, I might finally be able to follow my own good advice.

The difference between journaling and blogging is that the blogger opens his or her writing to the public, something journal- writers are usually reluctant to do. I am not so reticent.

The trick for me will be to avoid cluttering the internet with more blather, something none of us need more of. If I stick to subjects I know: sports and literature, I believe I can avoid that pitfall. I can't promise that I'll not stray from time to time to comment on ancillary subjects, but I will make every attempt to be interesting and perhaps even insightful.

Thursday, February 23, 2023

Once Again into the Breach

 The NBA went a long way to make the Saturday All Star event interesting and fun. The Future Stars game was perfect. Enough defense to add a smidgen of tension to the game so it wasn't a shooting and  dunking contest. The recreated skills-set competition featuring one Big was far more exciting. Note: it is time for the two Antetokounmpo brothers to retire. Keep Giannis and add people from the audience. I'm kidding about the audience. The 3 pt shooting contest, as usual was a success. And, glory be, the dunk contest was fabulous, not only because McClung gave it back some zing, but because the other contestants were legit sky walkers. Too bad some of the NBA "stars" with hops don't compete. MJ, Doctor J, and Vince Carter gave their fans the pleasure of seeing them fly high. Come on, Ja, King Fames, what? Your special? 

All that said, let's talk once again about the All Star game itself.  A complete stinker. I saw it as a cross between a 3 pt shooting contest and a dunking contest. Not an ounce of Defense, Not a half ounce. In my day this was called "matador" defense - show the cape and get out of the bulls way. Ole. 

I have attempted on several occasions in the past to suggest changes on my blog and a couple of times in letters sent to the NBA league office. On the outside of the envelope, I wrote Retired Warrior so they might consider reading it instead of dumping it into the round file. Perhaps the league honchos did read my suggestions and found them too radical. Maybe they are a little, but something has to change. The league can't keep presenting this margarine and keep calling it butter much longer 

So, here I go, once more into the breach: Continue the game divided into quarters. That was one solid idea. But in addition, make the Sunday game a true deep shooting contest with certain strategies that would not eliminate the midrange shot or the spectacular dunk. Here's how I see it, in general, allowing for people with better math and odds skils than mine to fine tune. 

1. 3 pt line remains the same. 

2. Dunks remain 2 pts, unless the are showtime dunks in which case they are worth 3.5.

3. Free throws remain the same, unless the shooter shoots it as a jumper, in which case it is 3.5.

4. Add a 4 pt line, 2 feet back of the 3 pt line.

5. On both corners directly in front of the half-court line, create two  4'x4' 5 pt shot boxes.

6. Color each of the shooting areas a vibrant color, easily identifiable by the audience.

7. Continue with winning quarters earning $ for charity. Made 5 pt shot could be a specific charity. 

8. Continue with present final score rule, although the total would have to be increased. 

9. Because of the enhanced scoring positions, a fourth referee would have to be added. 

10. In the event of a tie, a mid court shoot out competition would be exciting. 

Note: teams would have to strategize how and when to use the 5 box and who. The 4 pt line and 
          the 5 pt box would add a great deal of excitment and tension to the game. I'm sure that 
          statistic geeks could come up with all sorts of interesting combos and variations. Given 
          the additional court colors a light show might be fun to consider.  It works for rock groups. 

From my collection of Haikus about sports:

BOYS’ LOCKER ROOM

Fresh from the shower

    Towels poised ready to snap

Targeting rosy cheeks




No comments: