meta name=”robots” content=”index, follow” Meschery's Musings of Sports, Literature, and Life Meschery's Musings on Sports, Literature and Life: You Got to Name Names & Etc

What my musings are all about...

Blogging might well be the 21st century's form of journaling. As a writing teacher, I have always advised my students to keep a daily journal as a way of organizing their thoughts for future writing projects, a discipline I have unfortunately never consistently practiced myself. By blogging, I might finally be able to follow my own good advice.

The difference between journaling and blogging is that the blogger opens his or her writing to the public, something journal- writers are usually reluctant to do. I am not so reticent.

The trick for me will be to avoid cluttering the internet with more blather, something none of us need more of. If I stick to subjects I know: sports and literature, I believe I can avoid that pitfall. I can't promise that I'll not stray from time to time to comment on ancillary subjects, but I will make every attempt to be interesting and perhaps even insightful.

Thursday, November 3, 2022

You Got to Name Names & Etc

 I'm reading about Kyrie talking about how he never meant to hurt anyone. That he is an Omnist, (Really?) that he and the Nets are going to pony up $500,000 a piece which is one measly mil, equivalent to 12 pieces of silver - God, it was so patently dishonest I could have puked. Did I hear Kyrie ever use the name Alex Jones? Ever? Did he call Jones a racist, religious and ethnic bigot? Did the Nets NAME Jones? Did the Net's GM call him out? And why, you tell me, why didn't the NBA fine Kyrie? They fined Timberwolves' Anthony  Edwards for making a homophobic comment online. What Kyrie did, is 50 times worse, 100 times worse.  

Stephen A Smith, the talking head from First Take, calls Kyrie out. Stephen A NAMES NAMES. Good for him. 

I'm reminded of the weeny Republicans talking about how awful the invasion of our capital was by Trump supporters without naming Trump who could have stopped the whole thing if he'd wanted to. He didn't. Would the Republicans NAME NAMES? Hell no! Do they NAME NAMES now? Hell no!

In my humble opinion, Kyrie suffers from an undereducated ego. It is a condition that requires some serious time in counseling to correct, if it is at all possible. That it might not be possible is a terrible thought because Kyrie is clearly not stupid, just ignorant. At this point, his is a wasted mind, and that's sad. 

ETC: Ime Udoka will be the next coach of the Nets. I was impressed by Celtics' Jalen Brown's comment that he was glad that Udoka was going to get a second chance to coach which was something that didn't happen in the past. His implication was that in the past black coaches didn't get second chances once they screwed up.   

Let's do another baseball poem. Go Philly!

THE BASE STEALER    By Halvard Johnson

Wanting things to go on foreever
yet craving the apodalyppe.
Reading last few pages at one word a minute.
Wanting to teeter forever at the brink of the abyss.
and loving every minute of it.

The solid single lashed over second.
A shortstop's arms, just long enough to catch it. 




1 comment:

Chris Gibson said...

Hi Tom! Longtime Philly resident here. Enjoy your commentary and especially the poems. Wishing you happy holidays!! Chris