meta name=”robots” content=”index, follow” Meschery's Musings of Sports, Literature, and Life Meschery's Musings on Sports, Literature and Life: Let's Get Real

What my musings are all about...

Blogging might well be the 21st century's form of journaling. As a writing teacher, I have always advised my students to keep a daily journal as a way of organizing their thoughts for future writing projects, a discipline I have unfortunately never consistently practiced myself. By blogging, I might finally be able to follow my own good advice.

The difference between journaling and blogging is that the blogger opens his or her writing to the public, something journal- writers are usually reluctant to do. I am not so reticent.

The trick for me will be to avoid cluttering the internet with more blather, something none of us need more of. If I stick to subjects I know: sports and literature, I believe I can avoid that pitfall. I can't promise that I'll not stray from time to time to comment on ancillary subjects, but I will make every attempt to be interesting and perhaps even insightful.

Sunday, September 25, 2022

Let's Get Real

Ime Idoka has been suspeded by the Boston Celtic's organization, that owns the team he coaches for one year for a consentual sexual relationship with a fellow female employee that breaks company policy. 

Deshaun Watson gets suspended for 11 games for inappropriate sexual misconduct with 20 (Let me repeat, 20) underpaidm poor possibly immigrant massage parlor women. So, he gets fined 5 mil and losses chump change for the 11 games he'll miss. No mention of his 44 million signing bonus. The Browns signed him to a massive $230 million deal.

I'm not condoning what Idoka did. It's lowbrow, particularly since he's in a long term relastionship with the mother of his child. 

Yeah, that's pretty putrid But hey, our recently past president was getting in on with a couple of woemn while his wife was pregnant with his baby. I think that takes the word putrid to another level of putridness. 

So let's get real.

Chnage of subjec. (thank goodness) Kansas State Wildcats upseting the Oklahoma Sooners was fun. I love underdog victories. 

More fun. Andre Igudala will be back playing for the Warriors for his 19th season. How about making it an even 20 seasons?

Susan Bird retires. One of the greatest basketball players in the history of the game. With great admiration. Now let's see the NBA begin figuring out how to pay the WNBA women so they don't have to go play in other countries to make a living playing hoops. The league just needs to take a long term approach about the women's league. Anyone who knows basketball will tell you the WNBA is looking more and more interesting and exciting with each season. Lots more athleticism going on. Except for the power dunking, and a touch more speed, the WNBA is looking a lot more like the male league. 

I'm not a baseball enthusiast, but Aaron Judge hitting 60 homeruns derseves an attaboy. 

Two more days to NBA training camp. HooWah!

A little self interest note: The first novel in my Brovelli Brothers Mysteries: The Case of the '61 Chevy Impals is being launched on October 11. Future Brobewlli Brothers Mysteries will follow every October from Epicenter/Camel Press You can preorder at your local bookstore or through Amazon. My website is tom meschery.com for information about my books of poetry and about the mystery series. 

Here's a short poem written in the voice of Walt Whitman in honor of baseball.

Walt Whitman from 4 Quatrains   by Tom Meschery

I mark'd, where, isolated
On a little mound of earth, he rubberd
The ball, tenderly, 'till he felt its worth
Between split fingers, launch'd it forth.


  




 




   

No comments: