meta name=”robots” content=”index, follow” Meschery's Musings of Sports, Literature, and Life Meschery's Musings on Sports, Literature and Life: Random Subjects

What my musings are all about...

Blogging might well be the 21st century's form of journaling. As a writing teacher, I have always advised my students to keep a daily journal as a way of organizing their thoughts for future writing projects, a discipline I have unfortunately never consistently practiced myself. By blogging, I might finally be able to follow my own good advice.

The difference between journaling and blogging is that the blogger opens his or her writing to the public, something journal- writers are usually reluctant to do. I am not so reticent.

The trick for me will be to avoid cluttering the internet with more blather, something none of us need more of. If I stick to subjects I know: sports and literature, I believe I can avoid that pitfall. I can't promise that I'll not stray from time to time to comment on ancillary subjects, but I will make every attempt to be interesting and perhaps even insightful.

Thursday, October 28, 2021

Random Subjects

 Like the honey bee flighting from flower to flower, I'm going to flip from subject to subject:

If the NFL doesn't reveal all of the evidence it culled from the Washington them, Congress should investigate. There is too much history of racism with that team to call Gruden's vile emails a one-off.

I think it is time to do away with the NBA corner shot. It's too easy and nothing to be excited about the way it was when the 3 point line was introduced. Consider, the percentage from the corner is over 50%.Let the 3 point line begin four feet back from the corner. By doing away with the existing corner shot, we create a true value to making 3s and might possibly renew the value of the middle distance shot. 

As much as I'd like to see Trey lance start for the 49ers the rest of the way, at this point with the team falling apart, it would endanger his confidence. Let him watch and learn, then have a full summer off and a good training camp and come in fresh. Trade Garappolo for a good offensive lineman. 

Not much I know about baseball, but the World Series has started. Who can I cheer for now that our west coast teams have been eliminated? Guess it has to be Atlanta. Not much I admire of Texas these day although I should not blame the Astros for Texas' primitive and racist state government

I do not believe the LA Lakers collective old timer All Star strategy will work. Nothing against old timers, mind you, since I am one. 

Isn't it amazing how Andre Igudala can miss from distance time after time during the game, then when the shot counts, he drills it. 

I'm not saying the following NFL teams will win the Super Bowl, but they are the teams that have all the ingredients position by position to win it all: In no special order: Dallas Cowboys; Arizona Cardinals; (Are there really a lot of the bird variety in Arizona?): Tampa Bay Buccaneers; the Los  Vegas Raiders, and the Buffalo Bills. 

If the NBA wants to decrease the number of injuries to players, the league should mandate all training staff should incorporate Asian martial arts training into each player physical fitness plan. And all Bigs should be required to take ballet lessons. 

 As for the NBA 75th Anniversary team: In my opinion these four players should not have been on it: Hal Greer, Elvin Hayes, Sam Jones, and Jerry Lucas, and replaced by these four players: Klay Thompson, Tony Parker, Tracy McGrady, and Pau Gasol. I won't comment on why but let me just say in the case of Elvin Hayes, if he wasn't the biggest ball hog in the game, he'd have never piled up his All Star numbers, and he  was not a great locker room guy. Ask any teammate.

Here's a pome in honor of one of the honored members of the Anniversary Team, and one of my all time favorite players and a true gentleman. I wrote the poem in his voice, thus the poem in italics.

Earl "The Pearl" Monroe     by Tom Meschery

In the rec leagues
they called me Black Jesus.
When I walked onto the court
the crowd parted like the Red Sea.
In college, someone found a rhyme
and I became a pearl.
I guess I've been a mixed
metaphor ever since. Sometimes
when I backed a player
down into the paint
and spun into my shot,
I knew before the ball left
my fingers it was going in.
At that moment,
I could have heled lepers,
raised the dead. 
 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dwight Howard was the biggest omission on the top 75 list IMHO. He was an MVP candidate and head and shoulders above everyone as a defensive player in his prime. I believe his personality is the main reason he was left off