meta name=”robots” content=”index, follow” Meschery's Musings of Sports, Literature, and Life Meschery's Musings on Sports, Literature and Life: A Few Quick Thoughts about the Opening Games of 2020/21 Regular Season

What my musings are all about...

Blogging might well be the 21st century's form of journaling. As a writing teacher, I have always advised my students to keep a daily journal as a way of organizing their thoughts for future writing projects, a discipline I have unfortunately never consistently practiced myself. By blogging, I might finally be able to follow my own good advice.

The difference between journaling and blogging is that the blogger opens his or her writing to the public, something journal- writers are usually reluctant to do. I am not so reticent.

The trick for me will be to avoid cluttering the internet with more blather, something none of us need more of. If I stick to subjects I know: sports and literature, I believe I can avoid that pitfall. I can't promise that I'll not stray from time to time to comment on ancillary subjects, but I will make every attempt to be interesting and perhaps even insightful.

Wednesday, December 23, 2020

A Few Quick Thoughts about the Opening Games of 2020/21 Regular Season

 As I watched Warriors rookie center James Wiseman play last night, I wished Curry, Thompson, and Green were 3 years younger. Why? Because it's probably going to take this young man a season to fully realize his Hall of Fame skills. The question is by then will the trio of Dubs that brought the first NBA Championship to the Bay Area be able physically and mentally to make the most of Wiseman. A season doesn't seem like a long time, but you have to take into account Thompson will be coming of his second season ending injury. Steph and Draymond will have to live through what looks - taking into account what I saw on the court last night - the brunt of opponents defensive emphasis. In other words, they're going to take a physical beating. I don't doubt they'll be up for it; they top gun pros. Still, a beating is a beating. And takes it's toll. 

BUT, Imagine our trio of vets three years younger and James Wiseman one year older. Oh boy!.

I don't mean to be negative. It's just that age is one of the relentless realities a professional athlete must take into account.  

Okay, the reality check noted, let's move on to a little MAGIC. Imagine if Wiseman comes around faster, say after the coming All Star break, and his presence lessens the stress on Curry and Draymond. Or Oubre Jr and Wiggins play up the their talents (Wiggins sure didn't last night) and help to take the pressure off Curry and Draymond. And, on top of that,  the bench becomes a tough minded defense, also taking pressure off Curry and Draymond. At which point the Warriors surprise the league by making the playoffs and maybe, more surprises, going a little further. And, And, And, the following year Klay Thompson comes back with a fury, and Wiseman is now a full year older in terms of experience. You see what I'm saying?

Some thoughts to consider. Am I making myself clear. WISEMAN IS GOING TO BE MAGNA-GREAT... 

Some other consideration about the Net's game. I usually don't agree with Sir Charles, but he was right to point out that the Nets have the best bench in the league. And though I might have mis-heard, there was some talk by the Talking Heads of a rumored trade of James Harden for a bundle of Net's players. If true, my response: DON'T DO IT. The chemistry will be a stink bomb. 

Of he Laker/Clippers game. Hard to tell. I think the Lakers will wind up missing Green's steady 3 ball. But's still AD and King James until further notice. The loss is indicative of nothing.

SPORTS     By Tom Meschery

Three days ahead have been predicted HOT
Dangerous, one writer warns. Air quality unhealthy.
Below the weather, the obituaries from the previous page:
Rita Feldman, a nurse for thirty years, a mother
of four and a grandmother of seven boys.
Two photographs, one young, the other old.
Why is that? A reminder that the past is not
so long ago? In both photographs her face is sweet.
John Thompson Jr. died, then Chadwick Boseman
and Tom Seaver. All made the front page.
Death, these days, is stifling. We wear masks
with the insignia of our favorite sports teams.
My wife's O for Oregon, my W for Warriors.
Yesterday I saw a mask that read I CAN'T BREATHE!
The Climate is changing as we speak, too danse,
it's like water too thick to drink. I've turned to prayer.
Boseman played Jackie Robinson on the screen
and made us see a black man with our hearts.
I tried an elegy for John, but found my white man's
dictionary lacked sufficient words. For Seaver,
he possessed a wicked fast ball and a slider
that drove batters of two decades nuts.
Later, I hear Cliff Robinson, of the Blazers
died, which made my three dead athletes, a quartet.
Outside, the temperature is climbing.
The Fed Ex Championship is on T.V. 
The major leagues are swinging for the fences
and in Florida the NBA is playing in a bubble. 


1 comment:

Dean said...

Hey Mr Meschery! I’m good friends with Todd Sigaty and he sadly called me to tell me the great Dick Sigaty had passed. I told I followed your blog and he asked me to tell you...Hot Diggity will be loved and missed!

Dean