meta name=”robots” content=”index, follow” Meschery's Musings of Sports, Literature, and Life Meschery's Musings on Sports, Literature and Life: CORONA VIRUS 19, No Upside, but. . .

What my musings are all about...

Blogging might well be the 21st century's form of journaling. As a writing teacher, I have always advised my students to keep a daily journal as a way of organizing their thoughts for future writing projects, a discipline I have unfortunately never consistently practiced myself. By blogging, I might finally be able to follow my own good advice.

The difference between journaling and blogging is that the blogger opens his or her writing to the public, something journal- writers are usually reluctant to do. I am not so reticent.

The trick for me will be to avoid cluttering the internet with more blather, something none of us need more of. If I stick to subjects I know: sports and literature, I believe I can avoid that pitfall. I can't promise that I'll not stray from time to time to comment on ancillary subjects, but I will make every attempt to be interesting and perhaps even insightful.

Saturday, March 21, 2020

CORONA VIRUS 19, No Upside, but. . .

As weird as it may turn out to be, the NBA will not be able to crown a champion this season unless
our government can get its act together a lot faster than its doing. I do not see that happening from
the Federal side where the lack of leadership is a sinkhole of vacillation. The lack of a bold offensive
can not be overstated. Anyone with the least knowledge of the overall effect of the virus on the health of the population and the country's economy understands that 1 trillion dollars will not cut it. Unless (and this is highly unlikely) the President supports and the Congress agrees to a 5 trillion dollar investment in the lives of our people. If  they don't, we are in for a long, suffering haul, that could last who knows how long. To the start of the next NBA season in October? Then what? 

Right this minute I'd replace Mr. Trump with NBA Commissioner,Adam Silver and our country would begin to see positive results, pronto. Ok, so the commish is a little bit tied up running the NBA, how about Joe Lacob, owner of the Golden State Warriors; he have things moving. Ok, so Lacob is busy too, let's give Warrior GM, Bob Myers, a shot at running this country. I am NOT being snaarky. Each one of the men I mentioned has more leadership instincts in one finger than our fake president has in his entire body. Test out this replacement idea on any of your favorites for the job - no politicians allowed. 

Rant over, not the "but. . ." 

Here's a possible upside: Aside from the NBA players who have to get through the virus (and I wish them all the best and a healthy future), the rest of the leagues' players will have the longest period in the history of the NBA to rest their bodies. I have always believed that as the NBA began playing in the air the way it has over the last twenty years, that it is a miracle we have had as few injuries as we've had. Seven months away from serious contact basketball will refresh the bodies and the minds of our players, so that when the NBA begins again, it will be with physically healthy athletes, eager to get started doing what they do best on the court. This "but" is of course most important for teams whose players are recovering from injuries - the Warriors come to mind, but lets take into account all the players around the league with injuries, serious or nagging, as well. 

Don't misunderstand me. I'm not personally happy with this pandemic state of affairs. Without the NBA games, it's post season, Summer League, I'm in serious withdrawal mode. My wife can hardly put up with me. 

This is not a sports poem, but it is a poem that in the midst of this pandemic, might provide some comfort.

Pandemic    by Lynn Ungar

What if you thought of it
as the Jews consider the Sabbath –
the most sacred of times?
Cease from travel!
Cease from buying and selling.
Give up, just for now
on trying to make the world
different than it is.
Sing. Pray. Touch only those
to whom you commit your life.
Center down.

And when your body has become still,

reach out with your heart
Know that we are connected
in ways that are terrifying and beautiful.
(You could hardly deny it now.)
Know that our lives
are in one another’s hands.
(Surely that has come clear.)
Do not reach out your hands.
Reach out your heart.
Reach out your words.
Reach out all the tendrils
of compassion that move, invisibly
where we cannot touch.

Promise this world your love -
for better or for worse,
in sickness and in health,
so long as we all shall live.



2 comments:

Matthew J. McCullough said...

Thanks for your thoughts Tom - You were one of my childhood heroes growing up with the Supersonics in Seattle -- I recall when you tipped in that jumpball against the Phoenix Suns at The Seattle Center Coliseum...amazing! - I still have my black paper handlebar mustache from "Tom Meschery Night" in February of 1971 - I hope that you / yours are keeping it safe during this pandemic and all that goes with it..."The Masher" rules forevermore! Matt

Jim Dowling said...

Hey Tom,
I found an old photo dating back to 1956 with you, Fred La Cour and other players including myself when we played in the SF Hamilton League. We were coached by Fr. Heaney. I still have the trophy we won.

I looked up Fr. Heaney's history and see that he was indicted for 2 counts of child molestation in 2002 that occurred in the 1960's. The charge was dismissed because of an ex-post facto ruling. Needless to say, I was surprised to read this. I remember him as a man's man priest and see he was chaplain of SFPD for several years. He died in 2010.

Fred had a sad life. I was reading about him and saw that he died in his 30's. I played on SI's team as a second string center behind Fees for one season. He was a good guy but had trouble with his racial identity. I am sorry his life ended so young.

I read that you have suffered some serious health problems but glad to hear you are still staying active within reasonable limits.

If you are interested in a copy of the photo, send me your email and I will get it to you?

Jim Dowling