meta name=”robots” content=”index, follow” Meschery's Musings of Sports, Literature, and Life Meschery's Musings on Sports, Literature and Life: Whistle-Blower or Tattle Tale?

What my musings are all about...

Blogging might well be the 21st century's form of journaling. As a writing teacher, I have always advised my students to keep a daily journal as a way of organizing their thoughts for future writing projects, a discipline I have unfortunately never consistently practiced myself. By blogging, I might finally be able to follow my own good advice.

The difference between journaling and blogging is that the blogger opens his or her writing to the public, something journal- writers are usually reluctant to do. I am not so reticent.

The trick for me will be to avoid cluttering the internet with more blather, something none of us need more of. If I stick to subjects I know: sports and literature, I believe I can avoid that pitfall. I can't promise that I'll not stray from time to time to comment on ancillary subjects, but I will make every attempt to be interesting and perhaps even insightful.

Sunday, January 19, 2020

Whistle-Blower or Tattle Tale?

I was watching the Astros kick butt in the 2017 World Series with my friend, Larry Colton, ex of the Phillys and University of Cal Bear's pitching ace, still the holder of Cal's single strike-out record. Having him as my guide through a sport that normally bores the crap out of me, helped me to appreciate the pitching strategies primarily, but also much of the other nuances of the game that I don't see by myself.

I guess now, based on the expose of  whistle-blower, Mike Fiers, some of those nuances had to do with stealing signs. This mornings sport page in the Sacramento Bee contained an article defending the actions of the whistle-blower.

I'd like to weigh in on the subject. I'm all for whistle-blowers. Thank God for the whistle-blower who outed our president for his quid-pro-quo effort to get political dirt on Joe Biden and his son. Thank God for the whistle-blower who outed the tobacco industry and whistle-blowers like him who've helped to save people's lives, or in the case of the president, save our democracy.

I don't believe Fiers falls into this category of whistle-blower. There is no question he did the right thing by exposing the nefarious conduct of the Astros. What a gift it must have been for Astro batters to know what pitch was coming there way. "Next pitch, sinker. . . fastball. . . curve ball, etc. I remember turning to Larry as we watched the game how much I was enjoying the Astros hitting the hell out of the ball. Now I find out they were cheaters. Yuk!

Add Mike Fiers to that Yuk! list of cheaters. So, he finally found a conscience? Two years after he got a ring and a check. A little early for sarcasm, but the keyboard couldn't help it. I'm wondering why Fiers didn't go to baseball commissioner as an anonymous whistle-blower during the World Series? For that matter, why didn't he stand up to his teammates and coaches and say, "Hey fellows we can't do this. Either we win fair and square or we don't win at all." That would have taken a lot of courage.
His outing of his team two years later doesn't seem to meet the definition of courage as well. I'm also wondering why he didn't go to the MBL commissioner now, instead of going to the newspaper. Granted, he probably believed the Commish would try to cover it up, that's sort of what happens in bureaucratic hierarchies. But, at least, he could have said he tried to go through the chain of command, not that I've ever been greatly impressed with such chains, mostly "weak links." With the notable exclusion of Adam Sliver of the NBA.

I'm sure Fiers feels he's been high-minded exposing the Astros. Better he did, then he didn't; otherwise, the Astros would have probably gotten away with the scam. But something about Fiers' motives doesn't pass my smell test. So, I remain skeptical. However, Fiers can change my skepticism to admiration by giving back his ring and donating his entire World Series check to charity.

On another subject, how about some consideration of Steve Kerr for NBA Coach-of-the-Year for the remarkable job he and his staff are doing with their young and virtually inexperienced Dubs. It's not about wins, but attitude. These young men are playing team ball with great effort and tons of enthusiasm. (and not to go unnoticed, in the process becoming better basketball players) The old cliche, ". . . it's how you play the game" has never been so well illustrated.

I'm down with the recent Kings' trade. With Ariza gone (and I love Ariza's game), the onus falls back on Harrison Barnes to be the best player he can be. If Bazemore can reclaim his Atlanta Hawks game, he can provide much need 3 point shooting from the wing. Tolliver, in my mind, is unique. There's not a team he's played for that hasn't valued his efforts. He is a pro. He'll give the Kings boards, defense and he's not a bad 3 pt shooter, and it doesn't matter how many minutes he gets. He's actually a better bench player than Ariza for the Kings. The Kings also received two down-the-road 2nd round draft choices, that is a little long range for the let's win now people, but always a smart move. Ariza will help the Blazers with his experience and D. I also think Gabriel has the potential to become a decent power forward. The Blazers need some strength on the boards. Now the Kings need to find a place to send Daedmon who wants out anyway. The Kings desperately have to find their starters and a solid rotation. And pray for no more injuries.


Baseball's Sad Lexicon    by Franklin P. Adams

These are the saddest of possible words:
      "Tinker to Evers to Chance."
Trio of bear cubs and fleeter than birds
        Tinker and Evers and Chance.
Ruthlessly pricking our gonfalon bubble,
Making a Giant hit into a double -
Words that are heavy with nothing but trouble:
         "Tinker to Evers to Chance."



1 comment:

Sportszilla said...

We absolutely love your blog and find almost all of your posts.Do I serve the only one I wantWriter who creates usable content?Psl schedule 2020