meta name=”robots” content=”index, follow” Meschery's Musings of Sports, Literature, and Life Meschery's Musings on Sports, Literature and Life: NBA All Star Game, & etc

What my musings are all about...

Blogging might well be the 21st century's form of journaling. As a writing teacher, I have always advised my students to keep a daily journal as a way of organizing their thoughts for future writing projects, a discipline I have unfortunately never consistently practiced myself. By blogging, I might finally be able to follow my own good advice.

The difference between journaling and blogging is that the blogger opens his or her writing to the public, something journal- writers are usually reluctant to do. I am not so reticent.

The trick for me will be to avoid cluttering the internet with more blather, something none of us need more of. If I stick to subjects I know: sports and literature, I believe I can avoid that pitfall. I can't promise that I'll not stray from time to time to comment on ancillary subjects, but I will make every attempt to be interesting and perhaps even insightful.

Monday, February 18, 2019

NBA All Star Game, & etc

Okay, so there was a little D being played in the last five minutes of the game, probably motivated by bragging rights.

Dunk contest is getting ho-hum. All 10's for Smith's five missed tries before finally executing????Where have all the real high-flyers gone? Long time passing?

Shak and Barkley are almost incoherent. Sub in another smart woman, like Candace.

Seth and Doc Rivers daughter engaged. We're talking children with great basketball genes.

Steph's son was named Canon. With a sports' name like that and my belief that the principal of irony governs the world, odds are in favor of him turning into a etymologist.

It's worth mentioning again my plan to upgrade the All-Star Game: Create a 4 point line, and two 5 point opportunity boxes at the intersection of sideline and mid-court line.

I hate to say it, but Commissioner Silver's search for more parity could be solved by dropping the league down four teams. There are some really very average players making up rosters. The remaining teams could absorb the best players from the four teams dropped. I know this solution will not be widely applauded, but what the hell, at my age, who cares.

Steph and Seth's mom sinks half-court shot. We now know where the boys got their "real" eyes. Apologies to Dad.

NBA Cares rocks. Lots of charity and love and joy during the festivities. And how about the fashion statements?

Loved seeing all the kids on the court. Basketball will soon be the most popular sport in the world.

Also, big shout out for the NBA again for including Wade and Nowitski as honorary All-Stars. Classy move.

Next year, The Greek Freak needs to enter the dunk contest so we can see something really airborne.. Imagine, like Wilt, picking a silver dollar off the top of the backboard with one hand and dunking with the other. Just saying!

A replay poem from a few years back. Nothing serious, but fun, like the All -Star game.

Chinese Checkers by Arleen Cohen

The dragons
tell me how to move,
like a grasshopper across
the multi-colored field
springing from hole to hole
outmaneuvering the beetles.

I see the sacred star
and one by one
I deposit my eggs
until it is
filled and full.



1 comment:

Danjay said...

God bless you sir, for your brazen and blunt insights on this hubris called life